When you are too busy with daily work both in the office and at home, you usually find time to relax during weekends. Why not grab the opportunity to create in advance a teriyaki sauce chicken marinade?
This is one of the shortcuts in creating delicious meals like teriyaki Chicken on busy weekdays. If you have surprise guests at home, they won’t even know that you are serving them leftover foods if you have teriyaki sauce chicken and the like.
It’s amazing how a simple Teriyaki Sauce for chicken can suit different meals that you can easily mix and match. It is so versatile that you can create delicious dishes using only a few ingredients that you have on hand.
What is Teriyaki Chicken? Where is Teriyaki Chicken From? What is Teriyaki Chicken Made of?
Teriyaki Chicken is probably one of the favorite dishes with a teriyaki sauce but is it nutritionally okay? Let’s see the good side first. One benefit of eating chicken is that it has a high source of protein, sodium, and iron.
However, you must eat this moderately because it is high in fat and calories (depending on how it is prepared and cooked). So if you add the teriyaki sauce for chicken, it will add more calories and sodium.
Since that is the case, you have to research on cooking techniques that can lessen the fats like grilling, broiling, or baking. You must also take note of what other ingredients you will prepare together with the main dish.
However, it is also important to remove some parts of the chicken to lessen cholesterol. What are the parts to be removed to make the chicken dish healthier? The skin and the visible fat. Those areas contribute to the high-level of fats and cholesterol in teriyaki chicken.
Another one is to use non-stick pan while cooking so you don’t have to put more oil. Instead, you will use the chicken’s natural oil to cook it.
Do you know that based on the original Japanese word “teriyaki,” the chicken is really mean to be grilled? That is perhaps, one way of the Japanese people to control their diet and stay healthy.
Therefore, if you want to stay true to Japan’s aim to live healthy while enjoying the teriyaki sauce on chicken, then you have to carefully read the nutrition facts when buying ready-made sauce or marinade. Let’s see some of the best teriyaki sauce for chicken out in the market.
Best Teriyaki Sauce for Chicken - Why You Should Buy These Teriyaki Sauces For Your Chicken Dishes?
Having no time to prepare teriyaki sauce? Here is the list of teriyaki sauce for chicken you can easily find in any store.
#1. Sweet Teriyaki Wing Glaze & Sauce by Sweet Baby Ray's, 64oz. - Best For Wings
Since the teriyaki sauce is 64 oz, it is surely a good buy because the serving is up to 128 times. The product being affordable is not the only commendable aspect of this teriyaki sauce.
One of the reasons why Sweet Teriyaki Wing Glaze and Sauce by Sweet Baby Ray’s is popular and considered the best teriyaki sauce for chicken is that it was able to balance both the sweetness and savory of the sauce. Thus, those who were able to taste it said it has almost the same flavor as the original Japanese style.
In addition, it is also flexible to use. You can use this Sweet Teriyaki Sauce to marinate the teriyaki chicken. You can also dip the chicken meat to this sauce if you want to add more flavor to your dish.
The usual method to use this is still by glazing since based on the original teriyaki style, the sauce is really used to make the meat appear shiny and more appealing to eat.
#2. Tastefully Simple Honey Teriyaki Sauce - The Honey Flavor for Your Chicken Grill
This is considered one of the best teriyaki sauce for chicken because of its ingredients and nutritional benefits. On the label of the product, you will already notice that the honey teriyaki sauce has no hydrogenated fat, preservatives, sweeteners, nor artificial flavors.
Maybe because of its ingredients, the teriyaki sauce is a bit expensive which is about $14 for every 8oz. Nevertheless, if you will consider its nutritional benefits and avoid hospitalization for a long-time, then it would be worth buying.
The secret behind this flavorful teriyaki sauce is that it contains sesame seeds, ginger, and of course, honey. Thus, you will save more time cooking or mixing teriyaki sauce because this one is on par with the restaurants offering Asian cuisines.
#3. Soy Vay, Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce 21 Oz. - Sesame and Ginger that Bring
The next spotlight for the best teriyaki sauce for chicken goes to Soy Vay’s Veri Veri Teriyaki marinade and sauce. This one uses three incredible flavors: garlicky, gingery, and salty. Thus, making every meal special but easy to prepare. Now, it’s easier to impress guests, family, and friends whenever they taste your homemade dishes.
Since you can also use Veri Veri as a marinade, your dish will taste a bit exotic because of the hints of ginger and sesame seeds. That kind of flavor is perfect in preparing the chicken for broiling, baking, and grilling.
When it comes to its mixture, the teriyaki sauce only used high-quality ingredients. We can say so because it does not use any artificial preservatives nor high fructose corn syrup.
In addition, the Veri Veri Teriyaki Marinade and Sauce for teriyaki chicken is Kosher certified, which means it was prepared according to the rabbinic agency. Due to this certification, customers have an assurance that the preparation of the sauce was well-taken care of by Soy Vay.
Finally here comes the great part:
The Most Delicious & Easy-to-make Teriyaki Chicken Recipes
Here are some really easy Teriyaki chicken recipes that we think you will enjoy. Let's check it out!
#1. Classic Teriyaki Chicken
Around the world, the Classic Teriyaki chicken is quite known because of its unforgettable taste and flavor. However, it is important to know the nutritional value that we can get out of the dish.
First, is to consider how many calories in chicken teriyaki? If you will use the chicken leg then you have to know that a 3-ounce of that with skin has about 200 calories in teriyaki chicken and around 11 grams of total fat.
Compared with the chicken leg, the teriyaki chicken breast calories is about 320 calories but its total fat is lower with around 6 grams per serving. If that’s the case then think about how many carbs in teriyaki chicken? It is also high at 19 grams.
Now that we’re done checking the teriyaki chicken nutrition facts then let’s see the dish as a whole.
If you will add the carbs in teriyaki chicken, which is the total of the carbohydrate from the chicken, other ingredients, and the teriyaki sauce, then it might reach as high as 500 calories or more.
Then, to maintain living healthy, you have to consider how many calories in teriyaki chicken can you reduce and what are some of the ways to do it?
One way is to consider the type of cooking. Avoid adding oil so you may consider using a non-stick pan fryer. This way, you can use the natural oil from the chicken to cook the whole dish.
In addition, you can also consider the cooking style or perhaps, use the original Japanese style of cooking teriyaki chicken, by grilling.
Still, there are other factors to consider aside from thinking on how many calories does teriyaki chicken have. One of those factors is to think about whether you need to have gluten-free teriyaki chicken.
If you are sensitive to gluten, then you have to be conscious every time you eat. You might continuously consider while eating, “is teriyaki chicken gluten-free?”
The answer is yes but when it comes to the ingredients, you have to choose carefully. Just the same careful consideration should be applied when choosing ready-made teriyaki sauce. Usually, brands use big letters on their labels if they are offering gluten-free products.
Now that we’re done considering the ingredients and nutritional value of teriyaki chicken, then let’s proceed with the recipe proper.
- skin-on boneless chicken thighs (600 grams)
- salt (1/4 teaspoon)
- ready-made teriyaki sauce
How to cook:
- Rub the salt on all sides of the chicken meat.
- Pat the chicken dry using paper towels.
- Switch on the stove to medium temperature and use a non-stick frying pan.
- Place the chicken on the pan and turn it slowly from time to time until you cover all sides.
- When all sides are already brownish, drain off all excess oil.
- Use paper towels to remove remaining oil (if there’s any).
- Glaze the whole chicken with your ready-made teriyaki sauce.
- Place it again on the pan to achieve the shiny glaze.
#2. Teriyaki Chicken with Broccoli and Wild Rice
The ‘teriyaki’ refers to a cooking technique of Japanese cuisine through which food is cooked in a sweet sauce marinade. It admits all kinds of products, but perhaps chicken is the most popular of them. In this recipe, we accompany it with cooked broccoli and wild rice.
- Three pcs of chicken breasts
- 400 g Broccoli
- 400 g wild rice
- One cs sesame seeds
- Two cs of soy sauce
- Two cs of brown sugar
- Two cs of rice vinegar
- Two cs of white wine
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Grated fresh ginger
Step-by-Step Guides on How to do it:
1. Separate the broccoli in twigs and cook them in boiling salt water for 6 minutes.
2.Cook the wild rice 30-40 minutes with water and a little salt.
3. Cut the chicken into cubes and cook until golden brown with a little oil.
4. Reduced the heat and then add the sesame seeds.
5.Mix all the ingredients of the sauce in a bowl: soy, grated ginger, brown sugar, rice vinegar, and wine.
6. Pour the sauce over the chicken, mix well, raise the heat slightly and let it cook until the sauce thickens and caramelizes all the chicken (5 minutes so that it does not burn).
7. Serve the chicken ‘teriyaki’ accompanied by the rice and broccoli and sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
8.Tip: If you like it, add some chili and give it a spicy touch.
#3. Teriyaki Wings & How to Make a Teriyaki Sauce for Wings
Let’s move with the next one, the teriyaki sauce recipe for wings. This recipe will use baking as a healthier option in cooking the teriyaki chicken.
- ready-made teriyaki sauce
- minced fresh garlic (1 tablespoon)
- minced fresh ginger (1 tablespoon)
- chicken wings (3 pounds)
How to cook:
- Mix ginger, garlic, and teriyaki sauce with the chicken wings to marinate the meat for about an hour. Make sure to place it inside the refrigerator.
- Prepare the oven. Wait for it to reach 175 degrees celsius or about 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put oil on the baking dishes but if you have non-stick baking pans, then this step is unnecessary.
- When you’re done marinading the teriyaki chicken, then put it inside the oven.
- Once the whole chicken became evenly browned, transfer it to a saucepan.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce on the pan.
- Mix the chicken meat with tofu and other veggies.
- Once cooked, let it simmer until the sauce thickens.
#4. Japanese Teriyaki Chicken and Fried Rice Recipe
Pairing Japanese teriyaki chicken with fried rice is one of the popular dishes with teriyaki sauce. However, disregarding our taste buds, have you thought how many calories in chicken teriyaki with rice, especially if fried?
According to research, 100 grams of rice is equivalent to almost 200 calories. Meaning, teriyaki chicken fried rice might have a total of about 700 to 800 calories.
Therefore, if you are strictly on a diet or you are avoiding some ingredients because you have a medical condition, then you really have to consider eating chicken teriyaki with fried rice.
Perhaps, there is another way to get lower calories in teriyaki chicken and rice. One common way to achieve that is by changing the cooking style. Since you can adjust the handling of food, then how about grilling teriyaki chicken and fried rice.
Have you heard of sizzling plates? It is some sort of grilling the food. This is one way of lessening chicken teriyaki with rice calories. However, make sure that you mix the food from time to time because you might end up burning the chicken or its side dishes.
What if you will not use chicken teriyaki fried rice? Is white rice okay? Yes, according to findings, calories in chicken teriyaki with white rice is lower by about 30 per 100grams.
Why are we considering how many calories in chicken teriyaki with white rice? Well, these days in order to survive, you have to be healthy. If you have pre-existing conditions like high blood pressure or heart problems, then you are high-risk.
Thus, this is the best time to cut down your teriyaki chicken calories with rice. However, if you can’t help but miss the taste of the fried rice, then there’s nothing to worry about, just eat only a small proportion to satisfy your cravings. Eating just enough is helpful to lessen the teriyaki chicken with rice calories.
Self-control is quite essential to a healthier lifestyle. Thus, starting from now, be conscious of what you are eating. Check the nutritional values.
Whatever you choose to eat, be it fried rice or teriyaki chicken and white rice, you are responsible for what you choose. It is your own body but this article would like to help you choose the healthier option, which is to continue considering the teriyaki chicken and rice calories.
If you do not prefer to eat white rice, then look for an alternative type of rice. Nevertheless, if you can’t find a substitute, then consider adding veggies to lessen the calories in chicken teriyaki with rice.
Now that we are preparing the Japanese Teriyaki Chicken and Fried Rice, then it might be best to compute the calories in chicken teriyaki and add all those from other ingredients.
- boneless, skinless, cubed chicken breasts - 2pcs
- teriyaki sauce (240 mL)
- oil (2 teaspoons)
- diced onion (75 g)
- Minced garlic (1 tablespoon)
- Diced carrot (60 g)
- broccoli floret (150 g)
- beaten eggs (3pcs)
- cooked brown rice (690 g)
- soy sauce (2 tablespoons)
- sesame oil (1 tablespoon)
- Pepper (for seasoning)
How to cook:
- Pour the teriyaki sauce to the chicken. Marinade for about one hour.
- Cook the chicken in a pan.
- Add the oil, onions, carrots, and garlic.
- Stir until onions become translucent.
- Add broccoli and stir again for about 4 minutes.
- Separate the veggies at the side of the pan.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the cleared side of the pan.
- Scramble the eggs with the rest of the veggies.
- Add the teriyaki sauce and mix well until the rice becomes a bit crispy.
#5. Teriyaki Chicken Stir-Fry
Frying is a bit unhealthy because you add more oil to the dish. However, the discovery of the non-stick pan paved the way to cook anything without the use of oil.
We will use this type of pan in our teriyaki chicken stir fry recipe. Nonetheless, the calories will still increase or decrease depending upon the ingredients you will use.
For instance, if you will cook spicy teriyaki chicken stir fry, then you are adding about 260 calories per 100 grams. On the other hand, if you are planning to have chicken teriyaki stir fry with noodles then it is like eating the meal with rice because the calories from rice and noodles are almost the same.
How about chicken veggie teriyaki stir fry? That might be a good choice to lower the chicken teriyaki stir fry calories.
- boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 2-inch pieces (1 and ¼ lbs)
- mixed vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus, bell pepper, mushrooms (3 cups)
- salt and pepper (for seasonings)
- vegetable oil (1 tablespoon)
- sesame seeds (1 tablespoon)
How to cook:
- Pour the vegetable oil on a medium-high heat pan.
- Cook the mixed veggies.
- Season the mix with salt and pepper.
- Continue stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add water and let it simmer until all of it evaporates.
- Put the veggies on a plate.
- Clean the pan and pour the remaining oil.
- Fry the chicken in the pan and season it with salt and pepper.
- Cook each side for about 4 minutes.
- Repeat this process until all chicken meat is cooked.
- Put the chicken together with the veggies.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce on top of the dish.
- Wait for the teriyaki sauce to thicken.
- Garnish the dish with sesame seeds.
#6. Chicken Teriyaki on The Grill
As we’ve previously mentioned, grilling is the original way of cooking teriyaki because it the healthiest way to remove calories and fats. According to research, grilled chicken teriyaki calories is only about 460.
What more if you will add veggies like preparing chicken teriyaki kabobs grill? However, it’s tough to do all the grilling, especially if you live alone. What would be the best choice to do then?
How about eating outside? Have you tried the chicken teriyaki katsura grill? If you will visit the place, you will surely enjoy it because it is located inside the Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. The resto is known for its Japanese authentic cuisines. Aside from their teriyaki grill chicken recipe, they also serve sake, udon, curry, and sushi.
If you want to lessen your expenses and have more teriyaki chicken grill time, then there is a very simple step on how to prepare the dish.
In this recipe, we will use the teriyaki grilled chicken breast since that part has lesser fats than the neck or thigh. We also highly encourage adding grilled teriyaki chicken side dishes to make the food more nutritious.
- skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (2 pcs)
- teriyaki sauce (1 cup)
- lemon juice (¼ cup)
- minced fresh garlic (2 teaspoons)
- sesame oil (2 teaspoons)
How to cook:
- Marinade the chicken with teriyaki sauce, lemon juice, minced fresh garlic and sesame oil.
- Seal it and put inside the ref overnight.
- Prepare the griller.
- Put some oil on the grill grate.
- Pour the marinade in a saucepan.
- Grill the chicken for about 8 minutes each side.
Option: Add veggies like bell pepper, eggplant, or onions.
#7. Teriyaki Sauce Chicken Instant Pot
Lastly, we will prepare another easy dish, the teriyaki sauce chicken instant pot. Let’s start with the ingredients then followed by the step-by-step procedures:
- water (3/4 cup)
- ginger freshly ground (2 tsp)
- chicken thighs with skin and bones (3 lbs)
- cornstarch (3 tbsp)
- cold water (3 tbsp)
- green onions chopped (3 pcs)
- sesame seeds
How to cook:
- Program your Instant Pot to saute setting.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce.
- Place the chicken. Make sure that it is completely immersed inside the pot.
- Choose “Poultry” setting.
- Set the timer to about 8 minutes.
- Do not open when the cycle has been completed.
- Wait for another 10 minutes before completely unlocking the pot.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet.
- Switch on the pot again and choose to saute setting
- Mix the ingredients occasionally.
- Thicken the sauce by pouring the teriyaki sauce inside the Instant
- Pot and let the cornstarch dissolve from it.
- Brush the chicken with the teriyaki sauce. Coat all sides.
- Put the chicken inside the broiler for about 5 minutes
- Sprinkle the green onions and sesame seeds on the main dish.
Nothing beats the best teriyaki sauce for chicken in producing unforgettable dishes especially if paired with Asian’s favorite, rice! However, is there any specific rice that perfectly matches with teriyaki chicken?
Since we’ve already mentioned fried rice, you might be considering the use of jasmine or basmati rice to lessen the calorie intake. Or perhaps, you would like to explore the veggies or learn how to eat them.
Lastly, better be safe than sorry by putting the leftover teriyaki chicken in an airtight container. The maximum time that we can store the leftover is more or less 4 days. However, if you will put it inside the freezer then the expiration date will be indefinite.