Teriyaki grilled shrimp for a cozy dinner? One perfect dish of this will definitely light up any of your meal, not only dinners. Despite the very simple cooking method, teriyaki shrimp has an extremely catchy smell and flavor. However, we need to understand what teriyaki shrimp is and how to pick/ create the right teriyaki sauce for the dish. Don’t worry, we have everything covered in this article.
What is Teriyaki Shrimp?
The teriyaki shrimp is quite popular especially to seafood lovers plus it is so easy to cook since you only need the right teriyaki shrimp marinade. So many teriyaki marinade are available in stores and can easily be bought. So the only problem left for busy people is to cook the shrimp and add ingredients.
Usually, the teriyaki marinade consists of the usual mixture of soy sauce, water, honey, or sugar. However, you can add some additional flavor like ginger and garlic. If you would like to go the easiest way, then let’s see some of the best teriyaki sauce for shrimp out in the market.
The Best Teriyaki Sauce for Shrimp You Can Buy in The Market
The Braswell’s Ginger Teriyaki Shrimp Sautee is one of the known marinades that you can buy in the market. It was mixed to perfectly match the flavors of shrimp. Many use this sauce for teriyaki grilled shrimp but it can also be used as a saute. Of course, if you need to make the flavor last, then you have to marinate the shrimp for about 10 minutes before cooking.
Since all seafood has almost the same blend, you can try the Braswells teriyaki sauce to other kinds of seafood aside from shrimp.
However, if you have problems with wheat and soy then this product is not for you since it contains both. It is not gluten-free. Most of the ingredients used for the sauce is the usual except for some like:
- pineapple juice concentrate
- garlic powder
- minced garlic
- cane sugar
- rice wine vinegar (which is almost similar to Japanese sake)
Different Teriyaki Shrimp Recipes Easy DIY For You
#1. Classic Terriyaki Shrimp
Do you have any idea on how to make teriyaki shrimp? Well, the Classic Teriyaki Shrimp is only composed of two ingredients: shrimp with teriyaki sauce.
It is so easy to cook that busy workers tend to prepare the sauce in advance or marinade ahead of time since the shrimp is so simple to prepare.
As mentioned above, you only need to marinate the shrimp with the sauce for about ten minutes then that’s it, you can stir-fry and make a delicious meal.
The teriyaki shrimp calories are about 134 so you have to be careful especially if you have heart problems or you have high blood pressure. Better consult your nutritionist or doctor first before preparing the meal.
This is the detailed recipe for teriyaki shrimp:
- large shrimp (1 lb)
- vegetable oil (2 tsp)
- mirin (1/4 cup)
- white wine (1/4 cup)
- soy sauce (1/4 cup)
- sugar (2 tbsp)
- fresh ginger (4 slices)
- Mix the following In a medium-sized container: fresh ginger, sugar, soy sauce, white wine, and mirin.
- Make sure to dry the shrimp before putting it inside the medium-heat pan with vegetable oil.
- Flip the shrimp after 2-3 minutes.
- Once all shrimp were cooked, heat the teriyaki sauce in a separate pan.
- Pour the sauce on the shrimp and garnish it with sesame seeds if you like while removing the ginger pieces.
#2. Teriyaki Shrimp Kabobs On The Grilled
- low-sodium teriyaki sauce (1/4 cup)
- toasted sesame seeds (1 tablespoon)
- 48pcs large peeled and deveined shrimp
- 32pcs cubed fresh pineapple
- red onion, cut into 8 wedges (medium-size)
- Cooking spray
- Marinade the shrimp for about 20 minutes before you prepare the grill.
- Prepare the teriyaki sauce and you can mix the sesame seeds with it.
- In a barbecue stick, thread 6 shrimps, 4 pineapple chunks, and 1 onion wedge alternately.
- Brush the kebabs with teriyaki mixture.
- Place the kebabs on grill rack coated with cooking spray
- Grill for about 10 minutes or until the teriyaki grilled shrimp are cooked, make sure to turn them at least once on the griller.
#3. Teriyaki Shrimp Skewers
This is almost the same as the #2 recipe.
- teriyaki sauce (¼ cup)
- toasted sesame seeds (1 teaspoon)
- peeled and deveined large shrimp (1 lb)
- cubed fresh pineapple (about 1- inch thick)
- cut red onion (about 8 wedges for every medium size)
- Whisk the teriyaki sauce with the sesame seeds.
- Place the shrimp, pineapple cubes, and onion wedge alternately on a wooden skewer or stick.
- Brush the mixture onto the skewers.
- Place the shrimp skewers in a preheated oven. Wait for 4 minutes and check if the shrimp is already cooked. If the teriyaki shrimp skewers in the oven turned pinkish then cooking is done.
#4. Teriyaki Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
Let’s go healthy and try to add vegetables in this teriyaki shrimp recipe stir fry.
- shrimp peeled and deveined (1 lb. medium size)
- cooking oil (1 teaspoon)
- water (1/2 cup)
- low-sodium soy sauce (1/4 cup)
- honey or sugar (2 tablespoons)
- minced garlic (1 clove)
- sesame oil (1 teaspoon)
- ground ginger (1/2 teaspoon)
- cornstarch (1 tablespoon)
- blanched broccoli (1 cup)
- Heat the pan on medium-high heat.
- Pour the cooking oil before you add the shrimp. Let it cook for about 3 minutes per side or until it turns pinkish.
- Remove shrimp from the pan.
- Pour the sesame oil, ginger, garlic, honey, soy sauce, and water and whisk them all together in a container.
- Let the mixture boil. Add thickness by whisking the cornstarch in the remaining 1/4 cup of water.
- Then pour the cornstarch mixture in the saucepan while continuously whisking.
- Let the mixture simmer for around 4 minutes until you see the change in its consistency.
- Pour the mixture onto the shrimp and mix it with 1 cup of blanched broccoli. Make sure to coat evenly with teriyaki sauce.
#5. Teriyaki Shrimp Fried Rice
- brown rice (1-1/2 cups)
- chicken broth (3 cups)
- cooking oil (2 teaspoons)
- shrimp (8oz chopped)
- chicken, pork, or steak (Option to add bits)
- Cook the rice. You can also use leftover rice to avoid food waste.
- Pour the teriyaki sauce on the pan.
- Season it with garlic, salt, and pepper while you do the stir-fry of the shrimp together with the chicken, pork, or steak.
- Add the green onions, peas, and corn in the stir-fry.
- When all ingredients are cooked or tender, pour the rice and make sure to toss well in order to combine the teriyaki shrimp and rice.
#6. Teriyaki Shrimp Tacos
- vegetable oil (1 Tbsp.)
- ginger (2 tsp, grated)
- garlic (1 clove, finely chopped)
- water (3/4 cup)
- soy sauce (2 tsp.)
- cornstarch (2 tsp.)
- chicken stock
- brown sugar (2 Tbsp.)
- mayonnaise-type dressing (1/2 cup)
- uncooked medium shrimp (1 lb., peeled, deveined)
- fresh pineapple, (4 slices of about 1.5 cm thickness)
- red onion (1 medium size, sliced 1.5 cm thickness)
- green onions (1/4 cup, sliced thinly)
- flour tortillas or corn tortillas (12 fajita size)
- Heat the cooking oil in a small saucepan.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Pour the water, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small container
- Stir the mixture into the saucepan.
- Pour the chicken stock and wait until the mixture boils.
- Stir slowly but consistently until the stock melts.
- Remove from heat, then add the brown sugar.
- Remove 2 tablespoons teriyaki marinade and stir into the mayonnaise style dressing.
- Set aside the mixture of the sauce.
- Toss the shrimp with the cooked marinate.
- Glaze the pineapple and onion with the teriyaki marinade.
- Wait until the teriyaki grilled shrimp is already tender
- Chop and place the shrimp in a medium bowl.
- Grill the shrimp until it turns pink
- Toss everything in a bowl together with the remaining marinade
#7. Teriyaki Shrimp Stir Fry With Noodles
- peeled shrimp (1 pound)
- green onions (chopped in small sizes)
- toasted sesame oil (1 tablespoon)
- grated fresh ginger (1 tablespoon)
- sugar snap pea pods (2 cups, trimmed)
- cooked udon noodles (1 pack)
- fresh pineapple chunks (1 cup)
- reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce (3 tablespoons)
- water (3 tablespoons)
- unsalted dry roasted peanuts (¼ cup)
- Pat dry the shrimp.
- Put the pan in medium-high heat.
- Cook the ginger before pouring the green onion pieces and the snap peas
- Stir for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the shrimp, noodles, and pineapple in the mixture.
- Cook and stir just until shrimp turned pinkish.
- Mix the teriyaki sauce and the water.
- Toss everything together to coat.
- Garnish the meal with peanuts and green onion tops.
The teriyaki grilled shrimp is really special when mixed with the right ingredients and it is a bonus that it can easily be cooked or prepared. It would be best to mix it with a specially formulated teriyaki sauce so you can enjoy it even more with friends and family during gatherings.